Monday, March 19, 2007

mmm... Folgers


Though I can't smell it from my chair inside, I know it's out there. Rank and musty, baked and funky, the scent of America's ubiquitous excuse for coffee fills the streets. Still, there's something pleasant about it. Perhaps it's because I am in the business of coffee that I can tolerate it with subtle curiosity.

Twenty foot containers holding 36000 Lbs of coffee at a time are dumped into a pneumatic tube and pumped six stories up to the top of the building. It would be something to see if you could see it. It is all concealed by steel tubes. The only signs anything is really going on besides normal factory activity are:

1) Semi trailers filled with nitrogen are pumped day and night into a two story tank with a reservoir resembling radiant heat coils. The metal is frosted over and the ice pushes through the holding fence.

2) The second floor has a blur of red from the plastic cans that are churned out of that place and pumped directly to your cupboard.

3) The smell.

Come to KC and find out what I mean: miles of smell.

No comments: