Monday, July 16, 2007

today's personal space

So, you're on an airplane, flying coach(you have not overcome the caste system). You have a short sleeve shirt on. The person next to you occupies the arm rest you gave up as a courtesy to your fellow man or woman. That person also has a short sleeve shirt on, but is unaware of the length of the little wing his or her pressed shirt creates. This wings makes you aware of their every move as the fabric touches you ever so slightly up and down your arm as you try to sleep away the flight.

Do you say, "Excuse me, did you pay extra for a seat and a 1/5th? I didn't get a discount for your shirt... Are you aware you are caressing me just so"?

Probably you say nothing, and proceed to contort your body in cryptic ways as to gain a little rest and peace of mind. Drift. Shift. Or, perhaps it doesn't bother you at all.

I am curious. How do you feel?

4 comments:

Brad said...

Maybe I'm a little too passive agressive, but I turn to them and say "excuse me" or "pardon me" (as if I invaded their space) every time it happens.

grk said...

That's great! I am going to try that.

TJ and Gail said...

or start a little butt dialogue

Bettis Family said...

Tylenol PM and you're out cold, my friend.